Equal parts producer and composer, Son Lux (aka Ryan Lott) bridges an unusual gap between old-world music discipline and next-level experimentation. Meditative but heaving with energy, Lanterns finds a peculiar congruency between futuristic soul and ancient sentiment. Driving orchestral pop (Lost It To Trying, No Crimes) is placed alongside haunting minimalism (Pyre, Enough Of Our Machines), often starkly juxtaposing densely layered arrangements with Lott's intimate voice.
In recent past Son Lux has gained notoriety both for his s/s/s project (with Sufjan Stevens and Serengeti), and for being named NPR's "Best New Artist of the Year". His third full-length album, and his first for Joyful Noise (Kishi Bashi, Sebadoh, etc.), positions Son Lux at the helm of an impressive ensemble of instrumentalists and singers, including Chris Thile (The Punch Brothers), Peter Silberman (The Antlers), DM Stith, Lily & Madeleine, Darren King (Mutemath), Ieva Berberian (Gem Club) and yMusic (Dirty Projectors, Bon Iver).
released October 29, 2013
- "Alternate World" / Vocals - Ieva Berberian, Cameron Schenk, Aaron Strumpel, Shara Worden / Mandolin - Chris Thile / Pedal Steel, Bass - Christopher Wray
- "Lost It To Trying" / Vocals - Lily & Madeleine / Baritone Saxophones - Jack Bashkow, Steven Temme / Tenor, Alto Saxophones - Steven Temme / Flutes, Piccolo - Alex Sopp Ransom / Vocals - Ieva Berberian / Violins - Rob Moose, Elena Urioste
- "Easy" / Saxophones - Steven Temme / Guitar - Rafiq Bhatia
- "No Crimes" / Vocals - Kate Davis, Cat Martino, Peter Silberman, David Stith / Additional Drums - Darren King / Flutes, Piccolo - Alex Sopp / Violin - Rob Moose / Viola - Nadia Sirota
- "Pyre" / Vocals - Cat Martino, Cameron Schenk, Aaron Strumpel
- "Enough of Our Machines" / Violin - Rob Moose / Viola - Nadia Sirota / Cello - Clarice Jensen / Banjo - Noam Pikelny
- "Plan the Escape" / Vocals - Lily & Madeleine, David Stith / Tuned Wine Glasses - Jonny Rodgers
Additional Engineering - Joseph Branciforte, DJ2 Kyriakides, David Lai, Paul Mahern, Tomek Miernowski, Eric Tate
Thank you to Judson Crane, Chris Eldridge, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Karl Hofstetter, Nathan Johnson, Michael Kaufmann (who's been there for me from the beginning), Shaun Koplow, Stephen Petronio, Keir Schmidt, Andrew Sherman and Butter Music + Sound, Rob Simonsen, Fred and Lynda Lott... and to my dear Jennifer.
Artwork by Anthony Ciannamea and Ryan Sievert
All songs written by Ryan Lott
Ryan Lott Music (ASCAP) administered by Domino Publishing Company USA (ASCAP)
“Lanterns Lit” contains rehearsal recordings of the BBC Radio Choir, performing works of Mansel Thomas. These recordings are used with the kind permission of the Mansel Thomas Trust.
all rights reserved